After the deluge Noah released a dove from the ark. When it returned Noah knew waters still covered the earth. Later, when he released it, it returned with an olive branch: waters were receding. Finally, the dove did not return. It could build its nest, and Noah and his family went forth to build their homes.1
Though forces inimical both to God and to the gospel may beset us, God ministers to us, to protect us just as God ministered and protected God’s Son. Though to human eyes God seemed to have abandoned Jesus in death, God raised Jesus to absolutely new and indestructible life, the life of heaven as scripture names it. It is not merely to have faith; it is taking refuge in the covenant instead of cultural forces inimical to it.
- Compose yourself in the life-giving love of the Trinity.
- Ask your patron saint to present you to Jesus so you may converse with him.
- Speak to Jesus about the many images which seek to control your allegiance to him and to the risen life Jesus shares with you.
- Resolve to focus on your baptism and its life, dignity and vocation so you may renew the way you live your Christian life.
- Close saying slowly the Lord’s Prayer. No better prayer so succinctly appeals to God and helps us to live as agents of the new creation in Jesus, our risen Lord.