Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Paul Miki and Companions, Martyrs


"Our brother, Paul Miki, saw himself standing now in the noblest pulpit he had ever filled. To his “congregation” he began by proclaiming himself a Japanese and a Jesuit" [from the second reading in today's Office of Readings].

When in Japan in 1992 I was not yet a Jesuit. I was most impressed to stand on the shore where St. Francis Xavier, S.J., brought the Catholic faith to Japan. I was moved at this Shrine of the the Martyrs of Japan in Nagasaki. Inside is a museum of artifacts of things Catholic and about the history of the Catholic Church in Japan.

Three years later I sensed interior movements that Jesus was calling me to follow him in a way in addition to a diocesan priest, which I was for over 10 years. I and other s realized I also had the vocation to religious life as a Jesuit.

I consider Francis Xavier and Paul Miki and his companions my own companions helping me to discover my true self. I pray they continue to brighten my witness to Jesus.
___________________________________________________________
Photo of the Monument to the Martyrs of Japan in Nagasaki, Japan was entered in the public domain by its author, Fg2.

No comments: