Luke, an evangelist, offers us the preaching and teaching of the Baptizer, a prophet. As with other offerings, our part is to recognize what is offered, to welcome it and to accept it. Accepting is not limited to thinking and agreeing with John’s teaching. Accepting John’s teaching means to live it as best each of us can. Living John’s teaching and preaching transforms us to live our faith clearly. Living John’s teaching and preaching transforms us to be more prophetic Christians: children, women and men who help prepare others to welcome Jesus into their lives.
- Pause and rest in the Trinity, who creates us each moment.
- Ask John the Baptizer to present you to Jesus.
- Chat with Jesus: praise him for becoming human for you so you may become a truer temple of his presence and a clearer image of God, in whom we are made.
- Ask Jesus for the grace to live his faith, our Christian faith as John and he taught: sharing generously; acting honestly and justly; and expressing often gratitude for what we enjoy.
- Close saying slowly the Lord’s Prayer. Jesus gave us his prayer, which was his way of living as one of us, so you and I may live more like him until he returns.