Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Wideness in God's Mercy

Osama bin Laden may be a contemporary "test-case" for the hymn's assertion, "There's a wideness in God's mercy." Jennifer Fulwiler posted her reactions, which followed long after watching the events of 11 September 2001 unfold:
It wasn’t until I came to believe in God and started learning about Catholic teaching that I would look back on that awful day and have my mind reel as I tried to absorb one of the most difficult moral truths I’d ever heard: That God not only could, but wants to forgive Osama bin Laden. That even someone who was responsible for a terror attack that slaughtered thousands could ask for God’s forgiveness, and receive it.
Read her post here.

Jesuit Father James Martin was in New York on 11 September 2001. He posted his reaction to the news that bin Laden had been killed and the Christian call to him
. . .I am not blind to the death and destruction caused by Osama bin Laden. . . .Osama bin Laden was responsible for the murder thousands of men and women in the United States, for the deaths and misery of millions across the world, and for the death of many servicemen and women, who made the supreme sacrifice of their lives. I am glad he has left the world. And I pray that his departure may lead to peace.

But as a Christian, I am asked to pray for him and, at some point, forgive him.

Read his post here.

No comments: